Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Large Dose of Reality

Today was a sad day. Do you ever have those? Days when the darker side of reality presents itself to you in a new way. A day when you thank your lucky stars that you have the blessings that you usually take for granted... Today was that day for me.

I came face to face with some ugly reality today. Reality in the life of a person I met for the first time this morning. Reality that cuts your heart up into little pain filled pieces, and sparks anger deep inside. Sadness and anger. Anger at the injustice and at my inability to go back in time and prevent the pain this person is going through. Sadness that I can't. Sadness that there is nothing tangible I can do to help, so I offer comfort and love and pray hard (which, I guess IS a lot of help, now that I think about it). Sadness that this kind of reality exists so often in our world and that it often gets overlooked.

So I ask this of you, my readers: Take some time today, and actively seek out things to be thankful for in your life. And look for a way that you can help change one person's dark reality. Even a genuine smile can change a person's day, change their life. Here are some ideas I had, to get you started...

Thankful For:

1. A loving God
2. A family who loves me and wants the best for me
3. Food to eat and a bed to rest in
4. Friends to share my life with
5. A job to help provide for my needs and wants
6. The ability to articulate my feelings (So many people can't)

Change a Dark Reality:

1. Offer a smile
2. Hug the children in my life more often
3. Find ways to be helpful to people I take for granted
4. Listen to a person's story and let them know I genuinely care
5. Pray earnestly for those I know are struggling
6. Befriend the friendless

It seems like a lot when I list it out. A lot to be thankful for, and a lot of things to do to help. I do have a lot to be thankful for, when I actually take the time to think about it, and this list just scratched the surface... And as for the things I can do to brighten someone's reality, well, it seems like a lot, but can be done easily throughout the day if I look for opportunities, and it WILL mean a lot to those you touch...

God, sad as this day was, thank you for reminding me how many things I have to be thankful for. And thank you that you know the best way to help the person I met today and that you are faithful to do so.

No comments: