Saturday, March 20, 2010

Church... Sri Lankan Style

Sorry I didn't bolg yesterday, I spent most of the day reading and relaxing. We did something in the evening, but got back so late, any words I typed would have been completely incomprehensible...

Steve and Rita, who I am staying with at the moment, are pastors of a local church. Their church has quite a few members who are first generation immigrants from Sri Lanka. (For those of you who don't know, Sri Lanka is a small island country, just off the southern tip of India.) Apparently, most of these people fled to England to escape. Sri Lanka is a war-zone at the moment. Some have been here quite a few years, others are new arrivals. Some escaped, but couldn't get ther families out with them, others had no family left alive to bring with them... On Friday nights, they all gather at one of the families' homes for a little church service.

When I arrived with Steve and Rita, I was very warmly welcomed. Hugs and kisses all around. The kids stared at me with huge eyes. It was amazing, in the course of the evening, to see how passionate they are about God. To feel their hunger for Him in every word they spoke... I feel privileged to have gotten an opportunity to be a part of their community, even for a little while. And it really is a community. They all look out for each other and each other's kids... When the meeting ended, we were invited to eat. Such an abundant spread of delicious Indian food! They are so giving. Every time I turned around, they were trying to fill my plate, my glass. During the meal time, I had a conversation with one of the ladies. I got a glimpse into her world, what she left behind her, what she had to deal with after arriving here. What an awesome, strong woman!

I left the house all aglow. My heart has been touched.

1 comment:

Tabs said...

That sound absolutely amazing. Beautiful.