Thursday, March 18, 2010

Random Encounters

Hello! How are you all?... Ok, moving on...

Today was an interesting day. Granted, every day has been interesting lately, but today was different. This morning I went with Steve and Sophie to purchase my train ticket for Wales. Yay! :) That took a while as the lady in the booth had to keep going to handle train arrivals. Not to mention the fact that the card machine she had, kept trying to say that my debit card was expired... It expires January 2012... Anyway. I finally booked a seat on a train for Monday morning... I take the train from Horwich to Manchester/Piccadilly then switch to the train that will take me to Cardiff. I have something like twelve minutes between trains. I have never traveled by train before and am a bit nervous about the train transfer. What if I don't find the right platform in time? What if i get on the wrong train? Don't laugh! I'm worried. Please pray for me. The lady I got my tickets from assured me that if I miss one of my trains, I will not be refunded. Eek!

After that, we went into the main bit of Bolton to walk around and see what there was to see. (Incidentally, I went to an ATM and found that my card works just fine, thank you very much!) We looked at some great old buildings. One was a pub called Ye Old Man & Scythe. It was built in 1251! Rebuilt in 1636. It is where the 7th Earl of Derby passed the last few hours of his life before he was beheaded nearby in 1651. History everywhere! (Again, pictures of all these places are on facebook) We went to the Town Square thingy to see the massive Bolton Town Hall. It's beautiful! While there, we were approached by a news crew for an interview! Apparently there is going to be some big demonstration in the square. The BNP stirring up trouble between different races or something. People have been warned not to bring children around while it's on. As we had Sophie with us, they wanted our opinion on it all. I didn't have much of an opinion as I was only learning of it right then, but I stood next to Steve and Sophie while he gave an interview. They said it would air tonight, so the T.V. or "Telly" has been set to record it... I tell you, my third day here, and the press has already found me! That's the problem with fame, no privacy! Sigh...

3 comments:

James Lock said...

I have lived in this country for 20 years and have been on the TV exactly 0 times. You come here and get on TV in your third day!?!?! unbelievable!

lol :)

Don't worry about the trains too much I only started travelling more by train the last couple of years and it freaked me out at first too. Always stressed I might have gotten on the wrong train, but it hasn't happened yet!

Although I can't guarantee it, you might find that you can use your ticket on a later train should you have no choice in being late for your second train but you do loose any seat reservation through that. But 12mins will be enough to get through a train station and to the next platform :)

TheOldestStudent said...

haha! What can I say? The camera loves me!

Thanks for the encouragement about the train! I've been more than a little worried...

Tabs said...

You would be a telly star immediately upon arrival! LOL Don't worry! if it makes your head swell, I'll find a way to deflate it immediately. (hmmm... maybe Willy Wonka could help...)